Why Removing Mold is Important to Your Health

When you think of mold, you probably think of an unsightly black fungus that you don’t want to find on the leftovers in the back of the refrigerator. But what happens when mold makes its way into the home?

Homes are full of materials mold loves – like porous drywall and wood. Add a little moisture and things can quickly get out of control. According to the experts, more than 50% of homes in the US have mold problems, and that mold can put everyone in the home at risk of getting sick.

In this blog, we’re going to discuss why removing mold is so important to your health, and how getting rid of it can protect your family, guests, and pets.

Let’s dive in.

The Health Effects of Mold

Mold spores are microscopic and impossible to see with the naked eye. Despite that, they can do a lot of damage. According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), mold can cause a variety of health effects, including the following:

  • Allergic reactions
  • Sneezing
  • Runny nose
  • Red eyes
  • Skin rash
  • Asthma attacks
  • And more

In extreme cases, mold exposure can also cause anaphylaxis and even death. These symptoms are more pronounced in people with preexisting respiratory conditions, or vulnerable populations like kids and seniors. 

How Does Mold Enter the Home?

Mold is a product of the natural environment, and it occurs everywhere – both indoors and outdoors. In normal concentrations, mold spores aren’t a problem – even when they do get inside. It’s when mold spores meet moisture that they begin to proliferate and grow. In the natural environment, you’ll find mold in damp environments, like on forest floors.

 In the home, mold spores enter through ventilation systems, as clingers-on to our clothing, hair, and pets, and on damp building materials like wood and drywall. If the mold spores land in a dry, well-ventilated environment, they die quickly and never have a chance to grow. 

When they find their way into a damp area, like near the leaky pipe under the sink or in a poorly ventilated bathroom, though, they begin to proliferate quickly, leading to an out-of-control mold infestation. 

If you experience water damage in your home, either as a result of flooding or a burst or broken pipe, mold growth can begin in as little as 24-48 hours

5 Signs You Have Mold in Your Home

In some cases, you can see mold growing in your home. Sometimes, though, the mold is growing in a hidden, out-of-sight place that makes it tough to spot. Consider these surefire signs that you have mold in your home:

  1. Your AC or heating smells weird. If you notice a musty, wet smell coming from your vents every time your AC or heating system runs, it could be mold. 
  2. Your paint or wallpaper is blistering or peeling. Peeling, blistering, and other surface abnormalities in paint or wallpaper is a likely sign of moisture behind or inside of the wall. Where there’s moisture, there could also be mold. 
  3. You feel sick. If you have symptoms of a cold that just won’t go away, mold could be to blame. Pay special attention to symptoms like runny noses and sneezing. 
  4. You notice darkness or discoloration on your walls. Drywall is a porous surface that attracts and retains moisture easily. If you notice dark, discolored spots on your walls, have them checked for mold. 
  5. The home smells musty. Mold smells musty and damp. If you notice a funky odor in your home, or in moist areas like the bathroom or beneath the sink, mold could be to blame.

If you think you might have mold in your home, it’s important to get rid of it as quickly as possible. Fortunately, a certified remediation company can help.

Why Work with a Professional Remediation Company?

You think you have mold in your home, and you want it gone. If you’re considering doing the job yourself, though, we strongly advise you not to. When you hire a certified remediation company, you’ll get more comprehensive, safer mold removal services. Here’s why:

Mold Exposure is Dangerous

As we mentioned earlier, mold causes a variety for respiratory symptoms, from sneezing and runny noses to anaphylaxis in extreme cases. Exposing yourself to mold during a DIY removal can put your health and the health of your family at risk.

Instead, contact a certified remediation company who has the personal protective equipment (PPE), disinfectant cleaner, and machinery needed to remove mold safely and quickly.

Leaving Even a Little Mold Behind Can Be Disastrous

Mold spores are microscopic, and they proliferate quickly. If you’re going to remove mold, you must remove the entire colony, being careful not to leave anything behind.

Leaving even a slight trace of mold behind makes it more likely that the colony will grow back, and that you’ll have to repeat the process all over again.

Fortunately, working with a certified remediation company makes this much less likely, and allows you to get rid of all the mold the first time. 

You’ll Get Better Results

Few homeowners know how to repair all the damage mold causes – from removing it from walls to replacing drywall, insulation, and other building materials.

When you work with a full-service remediation company, though, you’ll get professional results that leave your home looking and feeling like new. 

Remediation 911 – Your Choice for Mold Removal in Florida

When you need mold removal in Palm Beach, Wellington, Jupiter, Palm Beach Gardens, Singer Island, or any of the surrounding areas, our team can help. From removing small mold colonies in high-risk areas like kitchens or bathrooms to conducting a whole-home remediation, we’re here for you.

As a certified remediation company, we will remove all traces of mold from your property, get rid of the health hazards associated with mold, and restore your space to like-new condition. Don’t struggle with removing mold on your own. Work with Florida’s leading mold remediation company to get results fast.

Contact us today to learn more.